March 18, 2011

f.r.o.g.

as i’m sure everyone is, i’m horrified by the images, videos and reports that have saturated the media showing us the extent of the destruction caused by the tsunami and earthquake.

living in chester means that we are approximately 120ft above sea level but it doesn’t stop me thinking that this type of destruction could literally happen on my doorstep. especially when you take into account that there are fault lines all around us – the mid-atlantic ridge, there is a major fault line close to spain, and another that runs through the north atlantic above iceland and the uk. pretty close. while these aren’t as active as those in the pacific and indian oceans – they are there.

the striking thing for me though, is that this natural disaster has hit a country and society that is in so many ways very similar to ours. The wealth and possessions, the agriculture and buildings – this is a modern country. the farms and roads and vehicles swept away by the sea could so easily be mistaken for those that surround us in our own countryside. 

obviously i used to be horrified when these things happened, but it never really struck me in a deep emotional way, except making me want to hold tight onto ali never to let her go!

back when the tsunami of 2004 hit i had just become a dad again - we had a 1 month old baby boy, our third son. i can remember giving him and my other boys [who were then 5 and 3] an extra hug and kiss when i went to bed that christmas night. i prayed that god would protect them. while they slept safe and sound in their warm beds i prayed that he would be with those parents who were searching desperately for their lost children and for the children searching for their mums and dads.

until i had experienced the paternal love that suddenly wells within you when you have your own children, i realised that i felt a much more real sense of loss for those people. that  i hadn’t had a real sense of how much a father loves his children before, and the lengths a dad will go to to protect and save his children,
a selfless and sacrificial love. i would die for my boys, every - single - time.

my faith in jesus christ means that i trust him to protect me and my loved ones when i cannot. when they are away from me, when we are travelling, when we are battling illness and disabilities and loss.
faith in jesus does not mean i don’t expect bad things to happen and that my life will be rosy and problem free. bad things do happen and there are many times when i have cried out and shouted at god in anger and frustration.
having faith in him means that i have faith jesus will help me [and us] through those times. he does… and he has.

i don’t tend to talk much about my faith on my blog, but it is a strong faith that god is always present. not just in my life, but in the world around me.
we are all his sons and daughters – and he would die for us…
…he did die for us.

the f.r.o.g. of the title is from a wristband that one of my boys wears. it is a reminder to 'fully rely on god'.

No comments: